Pediatric BASIC course is a 2-day course, covering essential and fundamental aspects of Pediatric Intensive Care.
- Junior Pediatric Intensive Critical Unit (PICU) doctors with little PICU experience
- Senior trainees in paediatrics or emergency medicine
- Senior PICU nurses
- Course textbook, mailed to participants prior to the course
- Pre-course MCQ-based formative assessment
- 2 day course consisting of lectures, skill stations and tutorials taught by Paediatric Intensive Care specialists, with an emphasis on a practical approach to management of critically ill patients
- Post-course MCQ test
Director and Instructors
The course director must have attended a Pediatric BASIC instructor course and we prefer it if most of the instructors have also attended a course. At least 50% of the instructors on any given course must be Intensive Care specialists.
Pediatric BASIC Course is more focused on organ support and syndromes rather than specific diseases.
The second course was held in Melbourne in November 2012, supported by the College of Intensive Care Medicine.
Paediatric BASIC course materials are provided free of charge to course organizers on the condition that any profit from courses is used for Intensive Care education or research. Candidates can be asked to pay a registration fee, to cover instructor costs and fees will vary depending on economic situation in the country where the course is being run.